Though educational research is no longer my speciality, both in my reading
about them for my MA in Ed. and my own experience with them growing up, my
main objection to them was that these decisions/the design of them were
often made w/ the principal (who may or may not have any background), the
parent, a special ed consultant, and maybe a thearpist, but rarely the
child in question (even when that child gets to be a young adult, and here
the nature of the impairment comes into play, the divide between mental and
physical) which itself was another kind of "shut out".  Also, people have
competing agendas, parents had one, the principle had another (abiding by
the law and little else), the consultants had another view, cost and how to
divide their limited attention among the small staff and caseload.  All
this results some times in a decision made within a larger social and
economic complex, under the guise of individual attention.  And at days
end, regardless of impairment, we all rode home on the same Special Ed. bus
separate from the "normal" kids.

--Johnson

 >I have never heard IEP's referred to in this way.
>It would be good if you could elaborate.
>
>It might be said that they individualise need and respond to that, but if I
>gave your suggestion some thought yes, the individualisation of disability
>may well be a feature.
>
>However, it appears that very few teachers know how to write them
>effectively or review them appropriately and they are so often seen as a
>paper exercise. A justification of the teacher's role.
>
>More worringly a number of schools /authorities compile banks of IEP
>targets, so that if a the  child's nature of difficulty is  for example
>social communication the 'appropriate' response is pulled out of the
>bank...then IEPs are individual nothing, and probably more harm than good.
>
>Gill.
>
>Gill Dixon BHSc Hons, RGN
>Independent Dyspraxia Advisor/Trainer.

Johnson Cheu
http://people.english.ohio-state.edu/cheu.1
The Ohio State University*English Dept.*421 Denney Hall*164 W. 17th. Ave.*

Columbus, OH 43210*(614) 292-1730 (O)*(614) 292-6065 (D)*(614) 292-7816 (Fax)