Hello, I tried to clip only a portion of what carolyn said if it seeems
out of context please refer to her posting today.

"To put it in another way, a white person who is a part of the Black
community is not a "comrade in oppression" -- in Frierean imagery -- for
the same reason family members of Disabled people aren't.  No matter how
close one is to the Black community, no matter what one sees or
experiences --including "oppression" -- by being a part of the Black
community, if one is white,one is not going to experience the same
oppression, deal with the same/similar discrimination, have the same
issues with society, self, family, etc., as
the individual one associates with.

OHdear, here is a conflict. again we are polarizing or dualizing you are
either black or white, but not both, or either a parent or disabled but
not both. Hows this, I am a mixed race Deaf disabled mother of a black
jamaican deaf child. My mixed race is Metis and Anglo so I PASS, as white
but have a stigma associated with being part Aboriginal both in my family
and in the Native community who HAVE status whereas Metis (in Canada) have
less. I understand Freire as well as the next person and I believe he, as
a very educated person stillaffiliate himself with the poor peasants. I
think not everyone is on only ONE side of this.  People can be more than
one thing,  I am disabled, and a parent, and I am a parent of a disabled
child, and i am a mixed race parent of a black child.  I happened to live
in America for two years and FELT the oppression physically, and
pscyhiatrically.

  One may understand some issues and their
complexity.  One may even advocate with and for one's associate.  However,
one is not advocating for one's self.  One is not oppressed because
society has deemed one's self as inferior but rather because one is
associated with an "inferior" and, like it or not, right or wrong, one can
(not necessarily
does) cut ties, cease the relationship or, simply, hide or not acknowledge
(it's not like family members have tattoos on their foreheads),
consciously or unconsciously, their relationship to an oppressed group.
Like the white person who is a part of the Black community, all the the
family member has
to do to not be oppressed is not be around anyone who knows the person's
family and, in some cases, just not be around the Disabled family member
to avoid.

Tanis  here again the above was fromCarolyn- I feel again we are slipping
into  using disability as a master status  when I strongly believe POVERTY
and working class status have as much or more to do with power and
powerlessness as race or disability.  I know many children of Deaf adults,
like white people in Black community, these children are HEARING but are
raised in the opression of their parents and internalize alot of the
culture that Deaf people bring.   They may not be audioologically deaf but
they are DEAf culturally- but there is a HUGE chasm betwee the profesional
educated paid deaf who teach,,counsellor or research and the under
educated unemployed poor deaf people.  I hope my point is clear??? -

pls send attachments to [log in to unmask] not to this email thanks.