In article <[log in to unmask]>, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Whilst some systems are flexible, some really can't cope with the
>(true) scenario above.
>
>The really silly thing is that any free text we enter on our system
>does *not* go onto the GP letters, so we have to enter it by hand.
>
>It is hardly surprising if some pressured people choose the 'other' option.

I went to the Exchanging Healthcare Info conf last year.  There were
many hospital speakers there - talking about various systems they are
implementing.  To start with I thought these folk were talking about
something different.  They said that as yet it was too early to start
electronic prescribing....I didnt understand...I thought this must be
about some new aspect of which I new little....... then I listened more,
and I realised they were talking about straight forward
prescribing......it would appear to be a sad fact that secondary sector
info systems are lagging a long way behind primary care

The vast majority of GPs prescribe electronically, most keep some
electronic records of consultation and many have given up using any
paper record (I'm one of them)

We were prescribing electronically pre-1990 (before my time but I am
sure this is correct) - when I was a GP trainee in 92 the practice was
virtually paper free - and had the best quality medical records I have
ever seen.  My new practice is fast approaching this as well.

The problem with IT in the clinical situation is that often it is sorted
out by an IT dept.  I believe that one of the main drivers for the
better (although not meteoric) progress in primary care is that it
pretty much doctor driven - the GPs are reluctant to buy something that
they won't use (although in the early days many were hoodwinked into
buying some of the most awful systems I have ever seen)

Electronic records can be superb - but it is hardly surprising that
people reject computers when they generate worthless letters and
increase the workload for clinical staff - why should anyone have to use
a computer if it increases their workload and doesnt give them anything
back?  Personally, I dont blame them - and I am an IT buff.

Cheers
--
Dr Jel Coward

..take a look at the Wilderness Emergency Medicine and Command Physician courses

http://www.wildmedic.org

'There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad  clothing"
                                                Anon Norwegian