This is a message for members of the Social Policy Association and others
who will be attending the Annual Conference.

There will be a session on Tuesday 20 July at 1700-1815 to be introduced
by Martin Kender, head of ESRC's SHAR [Sociology, History, Anthropology
and Resources] research team and 'virtual college'.

If anyone has any issues which they would like to take up with ESRC and
would like Mr Kender to address, would they please let me know soonest, so
that I [as SPA EC's liaison person] can give him decent notice. There will
of course be a good opportunity for general discussion anyway, but it
would be better to have notice of burning issues beforehand.

Note also that there will be a later session that day [Tuesday 20 July
2000-2100] devoted to 'new directions for social policy research', a round
table to be addressed by representatives of research funders, Nuffield,
ESRC, Wellcome and European Commission. Because it may not be easy to
distinguish the issues for Mr Kender to address in the earlier session
from the later one, I urge colleagues who want to raise 'how does ESRC
work for research and students and who is on it' specific issues affecting
social policy to do so at the earlier ESRC session, and keep the more
general ones about 'new directions' for the later session.

I look forward to hearing from colleagues who want to discuss any ESRC
issues with Mr Kender -- of course including SPA members who may not be
able to attend the conference session.

John Veit Wilson.

>From Professor J. H. Veit-Wilson
Department of Social Policy
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NE1 7RU, England.
Telephones: +44-191-222-7498 or +44-191-266-2428
Fax: +44-191-222-7497.
E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>.