Here are this week's quotations. Apologies for the delay in mailing them.

Who is laughing, and what are they laughing about ?

1. '...He said nothing, but I felt him shake. My head on his chest shook;
his right arm fell away, and his left dropped the knife, and he leaned with
both hands on my shoulder - shaking - shaking! I turned me round. No need to
put my foot on his knife. The man was speechless with laughter - honest
craftsman's mirth, the first time I'd ever seen him laugh. You know the
mirth that cuts off the very breath, while ye stamp and snatch at the short
ribs ?...'

2. '...I was on my knees beating my forehead against the back of a
prie-Dieu, when we heard, above all, the laugh of Faunus himself - the dear,
natural voice ... rich with innocent delight, crying: "But do it again! If
you love me, Uncle ...do it again! ...'

3. ‘...we hurried after them, for they were running unsteadily, squeaking
like rabbits as they ran. We overtook them in a little nut wood half a mile
up the road, where they had turned aside, and were rolling. So we rolled
with them, and ceased not till we had arrived at the extremity of
exhaustion...'

Best regards  John R