At 22:48 27/06/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear list-members,
>
>Does anyone know of any secondary literature on the spirituality of
>Peter Abelard?

Since I received your note, Humilitas and Caritas have been fighting a
battle in my soul.  Could it be that my own humble efforts would be of
interest to you?  As it happens, within hours of receiving your note I also
received the offprints of my article "Abelard's Allusive Style" in
Mittellateinisches Jahrbuch, Band 34, Jahrgang 1999, 1. Halbband, (Stuttgart
1999) pp. 41-49.  This is about Abelard's Hymnary, which I believe expresses
much of his spirituality, or as its editor says, "often expresses Abelard's
personal approach and his views on some subjects, more directly than some of
his other writings."

Is it also possible that you might find something of interest in an earlier
article of mine, "This Body of Death:  Abelard, Heloise and the Religious
Life" in Medieval Theology and the Natural Body, Edited by Peter Biller and
A.J. Minnis, York Medieval Press 1997, pp. 43-59?

I have also just delivered a paper at Carolyn's excellent Downside
conference.  Again I examine Abelard's poetry as an expression of his
deepest feelings.  The paper has of course yet to be published - the
conference only ended on Friday.

Poetria is not the same as Spiritualitas, but like Spiritualitas it has been
somewhat neglected by Abelardian scholars who have more to say on, say, his
Philosophia.

With every good wish,

The Supple Doctor.