White is also, of course, the color of the initiate, who in most rites of
passage is symbolically reduced to a state of non-existence and then made
into a new person through the initiation ceremonial.  Hence the association of
white with baptism, and the customary "stripping" of a sovereign at the
beginning of the coronation ritual, leaving him (or her) wearing only a plain
white robe.  In the medieval coronation, the sovereign then prostrated
himself (herself) before the altar during two litanies; s/he was then raised
up, and as the rite progressed the sumptuous regal vestments were successively
put on over the white robe.

John Parsons