From: Robin Netherton <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:31:42 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: White Weddings (fwd)
To: Sarah Salih <[log in to unmask]>

Sarah,

A friend of mine passed me your query about white weddings. I do research
in medieval costume.

Although there's almost certainly evidence somewhere for someone wearing
white for a wedding at some point in the Middle Ages, I haven't found it
yet. On the other hand, I've seen many, many pictures showing marriages of
nobility, and I cannot recall even one in which the bride wore white. So,
while I can't say it was *never* done, ever, I can certainly state without
reservation that it wasn't the norm, at least not in England, France,
Flanders, and probably the rest of Western Europe.

There is only one reference even casually connected that I can think of:
The maiden in "Pearl" is, I think, clothed all in white, and she is shown
at the end to be a bride of Christ. However, she is a dream-vision of a
dead child, and not exactly representative of normal women. Also, if
memory serves me, the brief description of her dress is unconnected to the
passages about her status as a bride. The white color almost certainly has
other significance, not least it being the color of pearl.

Today's white wedding tradition is, I think, 18th century in origin, but
even then it took some time to permeate from the upper classes to the rest
of society. In America, colored wedding dresses were common enough to be
considered unremarkable throughout the 19th century. The traditions of the
last few hundred years have been fairly well documented in the costume
literature, based on descriptions, fashion magazines, etc.  (There's even
a book on historic costume titled something like "Costume for Births,
Marriages, and Deaths" that you can find in many libraries). That doesn't
eliminate the possibility that white might have been used medievally and
then fallen out of fashion, but I find that highly doubtful.

If you think this would be useful to your list, feel free to repost it
there.

--Robin Netherton