R. I. Moore addresses the relationship between the Patarenes and the
Gregorian reform, including its anti-clerical aspects, in his essay,
"Family, Community, and Cult on the Eve of the Gregorian Reform."  It was
in Past and Present about 20 years ago; I don't have the reference handy.
He also treats the Paterenes in _The Origins of European Dissent._  I think
both treatments are relevant to this line of inquiry.  Also relevant, but
not on the Patarenes, is Amy Remensnyder's article "Pollution, Purity, and
Peace" in T. Head and R. Landes, _The Peace of God: Social Violence and
Religious Response around the Year 1000_.

Patrick Nugent.

><< Has anyone mentioned the Patarini on N. Italy.  My memory of the
> literature on them is that they have a tie into the Gregorian attack on
> simony. >>
>
>Weren't they the Milanese sect who started the whole reform movement around
>the year 1040?  If that is so, wouldn't it be better to say that the
>"Gregorian" reforms legitimized the anticlerical movement?
>
>mark

Patrick J. Nugent
Department of Religion
Earlham College