Hi,

My response here is rather late, but I'd like to chip a few references and
ask the group for additional suggestions.  I am also very interested in
finding more LCA studies on computers.

1.  MCC organized a collaborative LCA of a workstation, which is published
as a book: Environmental Consciousness: A Strategic Competitiveness Issue
for the Electronics Industry (March, '93).  They have some very interesting
figures on total chemical, materials and energy use, but overall the study
does not present many details.  The publication can be ordered through the
website, see http://www.mcc.com/projects/env/pubs.html

2.  Although not a LCA study, the virtual sector guide by the EPA on the
electronics industry, at http://cf.envirosense.com/sectors/elect/, has some
information on environmental impacts involved with computers.

3.  Though not addressing computers directly, Erik Alsema's work on LCA of
multicrystalline solar cells is quite relevant as one of the main
ingredients is the same for both items: polycrystalline silicon.
Alsema'as  paper is quite detailed and gives input/output tables for
different production stages.  It is available online at
http://www.chem.ruu.nl/nws/www/general/personal/alsema_a.htm

There are a number of LCA studies of CO2 emissions for computers floating
around, but I am not familair with any that are in proper journals or posted
on the Internet.

I hope that members of the group can make additional suggestions.  There
must be many more studies around.

Best Regards, Eric

Eric David Williams
United Nations University/Institute of Advanced Studies
53-67, Jingumae 5-chome, Tokyo 150-8304, JAPAN
phone: 81-3-5467-1390      fax: 81-3-5467-2324
email: [log in to unmask]