From:             Michael Beck <[log in to unmask]>
To:               [log in to unmask]
Subject:          New virus alert.

Dear all,

I have just received a warning about a new virus affecting Windows 95/98
and NT that I thought you should be made aware of.

The virus is sent via e-mail, the body of the message reading:-

"I received your email and I shall send you a reply ASAP.
Till then, take a look at the attached zipped docs."

The subject line of the message is not constant as the message is a
reply. The atteached file (zipped_files.exe) contains the virus. The
attachment displays a Winzip icon, designed to fool users into thinking
the file is a self-extracting archive. If this file is executed, users
get a faked error message which is a copy of a standard Winzip error:-

"Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive. If this
file is part of a ZIP format backup set, insert the last disk of the
backup set and try again. Please press F1 for help."

The virus then searches for all files with the following extensions and
replaces them with 0 block files:-

*.c, *.cpp, *.h, *.asm, *.doc, *.xls, *.ppt.

The person I received this from (the maintainer of the NT FAQ) was sent
this file by someone who works for Dell!

Network Associates have further details (and a fix) at the URL:-

http://www.mcafee.com/viruses/explorezip/default.asp

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Best Wishes

Mark Priestley