Graham, critters

I agree with the first part of this statement - i.e. the formation of
cultural identity - but why does identity have to be necessarily tied in to
notions of 'dominant ideology'.
Identities are also a form of resistance - they are not something simply
'given' by particular social formations and discursive regimes.

As I say my input was crude and for me the fixing of almost anything
is contingent. dominant ideology isn't always at issue here - I
didn't say it was - let's be careful not to expect too much of this
e-medium.

 So I concur with your point regarding appropriation and
resistance - indeed I have just written to David on this. I like the
idea of  'war of maneouvre' and the debates about hegemony /
hegemonic reconstitutions  (cf. Gramsci).

Gavin
Dr Gavin Parker
School of Management Studies
University of Surrey
GUILDFORD
Surrey GU2 5XH

Direct Tel: +44 1483 876366
Fax: +44 1483 259387

New for Academic Year 1999/2000 - MSc course in:
Leisure, Culture and Tourism Management.
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/SMSSS/leis.html