Just thought I'd comment on this "debate"...

the first thing is that I am troubled by the valuation of "the streets" as
the authentic site of protest by "the people"... of course, "the people" who
throw stones aren't always "goodies"... and politics clearly happen "off
street".

And there were clearly "academics" (and probably a lot of students) at the
'Carnival', so I really don't agree with the artificial separation between
"the streets" (where politics are) and "the ivory tower" (where they
aren't). Noel Castree's article in Area (31/1) demonstrates forcefully that
there are politics within the academy.

Finally, if there were 3,000 people there, then they were probably there for
about 3,000 different reasons -- so this would, I think, give us a little
pause for thought before declaring "the revolution" alive and well and
living in London.

And you don't need to throw stones or samba to be political.

Steve

PS I don't suppose that Debord mentioned whether 'ideology' or 'theory' was
the good Guy?