Dear all,

Did anyone see Ron Johnston's review of the Massey, Allen and Sarre edited
collection called Human Geography Today in the Times Higher last Friday?

Any reactions? From the contributors? Editors? Other less partial
readers?

Personally, I thought it was a bit harsh, or at least ambivalent, with
more questions raised then opinions given.

Although I agree very much with Ron Johnston that we shouldn't turn our
attentions too far away from "firstspace" (what was once called reality),
I rather liked the book and thought it was quite well grounded in
empirical work.

I also thought it did a good job of explaining and illustrating the ways
in which geography - as spatial organization - might matter, rather than
simply asserting that geography matters.

For an undergraduate looking to get up to date with some of the most
interesting work in contemporary and sometimes critical human geography I
thought it would make a really good book. Pretty useful for older hands
too.

Whad'ya reckon?

cheers,
alan

PS: non-UK folks with web access can probably find the review at
www.thesis.co.uk

It was on p.27 if that helps.

Dr. Alan C. Hudson
(University Assistant Lecturer and Fellow of Fitzwilliam College)

Department of Geography,
University of Cambridge,
CB2 3EN,
United Kingdom.

Tel: + 44 (0) 1223 333364 (Department - Direct line)
Tel: + 44 (0) 1223 358354 (Home + Answerphone)
Fax: + 44 (0) 1223 333392 (Department)