Hi all,

Given the slight disturbance of the recent infected file attachment,
perhaps it is useful to remind ourselves of some of the ways we can help
ensure the CGF runs effectively.

Most of this comes from the Introduction file everyone receives when they
join the list. This can also be read at the CGF website:
	http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/crit-geog-forum/

Problem email addresses
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

As the CGF grows to approaching 600 members the routine administrative
tasks that the 'owners' have to deal with also grow. If an e-mail address
changes or the in-box gets full, error messages are sent to the owners for
each message posted to the list and typically that means that each posting
results in 4 or 5 errors. On bad days we can get upwards of 50 error
messages. Sometimes computer services departments change long addresses
without telling users (the alias stays the same) and this can also cause
problems.

As a result, we have decided to become more proactive in removing
addresses from the list and will now immediately remove people whose
mailboxes are full.  We will continue to contact institutions to check on
other error messages but if no reply is received within a reasonable
period these addresses will also be removed. This is NOT an attempt at
censorship and the only criterion for removing people will be that the
messages do not get through.

Suspension
=-=-=-=-=-
If you are going away for a while, the best thing to do is to suspend your
membership by sending the command 'suspend crit-geog-forum' to
[log in to unmask] (and on return send 'resume crit-geog-forum' to
the same address). This ensures that your mailbox doesn't get clogged up.

Checking your membership
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If you do not receive mail from the list and think that you should be, you
can check your membership status at
	http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/names/crit-geog-forum/members.html

If you have been removed in error, you can resubscribe by sending the
message 'subscribe crit-geog-forum' to [log in to unmask]

Resources
=-=-=-=-=
The lists archives are kept for 2 years on the web and you can check
messages that you may have missed at
	http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/crit-geog-forum/archive.html

Distribution of Documents using the Critical Geography Forum website

An opportunity exists on the Critical Geography Website to distribute
documents via the WWW. Given recent debates on this List concerning the
problems and politics related with publishing material, List Members may
be interested in this development.

For further information, see the CGF website or contact a CGF
administrator.

----
au revoir

niall johnson
[c-g-f admin.]

Email: [log in to unmask]

Department of Geography		and		Sidney Sussex College
University of Cambridge				Cambridge
England		CB2 3EN				England 	CB2 3HU