>     Stephen Buckley wrote:
>
>          > no one in their right mind would build a church in such a
>          situation, over a 'bache' (small valley)
>
>     Abbeys were frequently built on low ground near a stream as a ready
>     source of fresh water. Although one assumes that the abbey church
>     itself would be built on firm ground, I believe it was not unusual for
>     the lavatorium to be built actually over a stream, for example. Under
>     these circumstances, it would not be surprising for incomplete
>     understanding of the local hydrography or later replanning of the
>     buildings to lead to there being water under the church. Of course,
>     this is not to deny that any particular church may indeed have been
>     deliberately constructed to house a particular holy well.
>
>     On a separate point, I am intrigued by the word "bache" in this
>     context and wonder about its etymology? Is it related to German "bach"
>     (a brook) or to Celtic/Welsh "bach" (small)? Anybody know?
>
>     Glyn Williams

You should see the site! On a slope as well as over a valley, near the top
of a hill; there is a lovely flat place only a stone's throw away. And the
spring was prolific enough to be pretty obvious.  'Bache' is Anglo-Saxon
b<ae>ce, bece: see Margaret Gelling, 'Place-Names in the Landscape', pp.
12-13, where it is described as a fairly well marked but not dramatic
valley. It often has a spring at its head; it may also survive in
place-names such as 'The Bage', marked near Kington, Herefs., where there is
clearly such a valley shown in the contours. It looks related to the German,
but isn't anything to do with Welsh 'bach' -- this can cause problems in
border place-name study. In Kenelm's legend (here we go again) the saint is
described as being martyred in Cowbatch. There was indeed a field of this
name in the late seventeenth century; unfortunately, it's about half a mile
from the church! I haven't worked out exactly where; but it may also have a
spring and a valley. There are several of springs nearby, thanks to the
junction of new red sandstone - which gives the runoff from fields a red
colour even today - and keuper marl.

Christine Buckley