Rudyard Kipling in his autobiographical 'Something of myself' advises that
one should never launch a 'glittering generality' and he quotes as an
example his 'East was East and West was West and never the twain should
meet' - he received a great deal of mail from the 'excellent and uplifted'
of all lands  firmly stating that East and West HAD met. He felt that they
were misguided and had not understood the fact that there are times and
circumstances under which cardinal points cease to exist !
I think his  liberality with cardinal points and another glittering
generality occurred in Mandalay !
I now quote Kipling:
Again. I wrote a song called 'Mandalay' which, tacked to a tune with a
swing, made one of the waltzes of that distant age.A private soldier reviews
his loves and, in the chorus,his experiences in the Burma campaign. One of
his ladies lives in Moulmein, which is not on the road to anywhere ,and he
describes the amour with some minuteness, but always in his chorus deals
with 'the road to Mandalay,' his golden path to romance. The inhabitants of
the United States,to whom I owed most of the bother, 'Panamaed' that song
(this was before copy right), set it to their own tunes, and sang it in
their own national voices. Not content with this, they took to pleasure
cruising, and discovered that Moulmein did not command any view of the sun
rising across the Bay of Bengal. They must have interfered too with the
navigation of the Irrawaddy Flotilla steamers, for one of the Captains
S.O.S.-ed me to give him  something to tell these somethinged  tourists
about it'.
Kipling  goes on to say:  The song was a sort of general mix-up of the
singer's Far-Eastern memories against a background of the Bay of Bengal as
seen at dawn from a troop ship taking him there

Chapter VIII of  Kipling's 'Something of myself' gives a fuller
explanation-and recounts the number of times he has been taken to task. I
hope these extracts are helpful, but please read the full
chapter !.
Regards    Michael Jefferson: