-----Original Message-----
From: John Radcliffe <[log in to unmask]>
To: Richards, David A. <[log in to unmask]>; Kipling Mailbase
Date: Sunday, May 16, 1999 7:39 AM
Subject: Fw: The Phantom 'Rickshaw

>Any guidance for WBarea51 ?

In the summer of 1885 the Kipling family- Lockwood,Alice, Trix and the 20
year old  Rudyard spent a season in Simla - Rudyard as Special correspondent
for the Civil and Military Gazette.
Simla at that time was a stimulating hotbed of eccentrics,influential
members of the Government,Conmen,sychophants,drunks, philosophers,
missionaries, nymphomaniacs,mystics, hypnotists,psychopaths as well as the
honest and hardworking  members of the Indian Civil Service  and the
Military - in short a stimulating environment for a talented young
writer.Stories 'from the Hills' just begged to be written !
I think it important to note that The Phantom Rickshaw was written during
the season of 1885 by a talented , impressionable and very observant 20 year
old against the backdrop of Simla with its contemporary acceptance of
seances and   'spooky' tales of haunted bungalows. The story was  first
included in the production of a family magazine called Quartette , which was
issued as a Christmas annual.

The Phantom Rickshaw - which Charles Carrington thought was written markedly
in the style of Edgar Allan Poe(1809-49) - was thought by Kipling to be
worthy of preserving and issuing in the collected edtitions of his work in
later life.
The Phantom Rickshaw was also published  in the Indian Railway edition
(price One Rupee)  - the title: The Phantom Rickshaw & other Eerie Tales  by
Rudyard Kipling -.(c 1888)

I hope this helps to answer a part  of Wbarea51's question.
Only an examination of his book would determine the second part of his
query.

Regards Michael Jefferson