I think it's actually William of St. Thierry's, On the Nature and Dignity
of Love and it is a Syon MS, but I don't have the reference.  Lee
Patterson deals with it in his book on medieval literature and modern
critical theory (the title has escaped me--*Negotiating the Past*???--and
I don't have the book at hand in my office), but his interpretation cannot be
trusted, since he pulls a bait and switch with his texts--switching from
William to David of Augsburg's book on the formation of novices without
informing the reader (you have to check his footnotes to see this), which
vitiates his interpretation.  The David of Augsburg text is, of course,
German geographically, though written in Latin (but with numerous German
translations, on which one might consult Kurt Ruh, _Bonaventura Deutsch_).
Perhaps someone who has Patterson at hand can fill in the details ins such
a way that it will help Sarah Randles, who wrote the message to which Jill
Keen responded.

Dennis Martin
Loyola University