Norfolk County Council and the Norfolk and Norwich Millennium Company are
developing the specification for an image database of the newspapers
published by Eastern Counties Newspapers and their predecessors.  This will
be compiled by scanning the 35mm microfilm copies which have been made over
the years.

This project was initially considered in 1997, but the technology did not
appear to have stabilised at that time, so it was deferred.   We have now
reached the stage of revising the original specification.

When  this project was last considered there did not appear to be many
other organisations which were working in this field. However, as some time
has passed cince then, other organisations may well have started to
digitise newspapers or other documents from microfilm.   If so, it would be
very helpful to hear from them so that we could build on each other's
experience

NB: I am acting as a consultant to the Norfolk and Norwich Millennium
Company on this project, and through them to the County Council's Library
and Information Service.

Hilary Hammond

Hilary Hammond
Hilary Hammond - Cultural Consultancy