I don't know a lot about breast cancer but I think you have asked the wrong
question. Ultimately we all die, whether of breast cancer or something
else.  What is important is when you die.  So I suggest you look for
example at the influence of 10, 15 and 20 years of mammmagaphy on deaths
over 10, 15 and 20, 25 years.

Rod jackson

 >     Dear  List Members,  The  foundation Paracelsus Today in Switzerland
is planning a utility analysis for  mammography. The working method will
include focus groups. For the focus groups, I now try to develop a
hypothetical  scenario for mammography which has to come close to the
reality. I want to start  with a group of say 10.000  women in the age of
50 and follow these women  for the rest of their lifes, with or without
mammography. Without  mammography it can be expected that from these 10'000
women arround 470 women  will die of breast cancer (mortality in
Switzerland for breast cancer is arround  4.7%). The scenario for the case
all these women do have regular mammographies,  however is much more
difficult to define. Although I know about the relative  risk reduction of
0.3-0.25 for mammography in woman aged 50-70 ( which would  mean that in
stead of 470 in the end 329-353 will die of breast cancer), I  cannot realy
find numbers about how many women will have a positive screening  result
for the first screening and the following, and how many of these positive
results are false positive, or how many cases will be missed. An other
question  is whether the mean age of the 10'000 women with mammography in
the end will be  higher then for those without mammography, and how much it
will be  higher. If  you could give me some answers to my questions or tell
me where to look for  those answers I would be very grateful.    With best
regards, Dr. Klazien  Matter-Walstra
****************************************************************** Work:
Stiftung Paracelsus  heute Ilgenweidtrasse 3 8840 Einsiedeln Tel: +41 (0)55
4188195,  Fax:  +41 (0)55 4188192 [log in to unmask]
http://www.paracelsus-heute.ch/ Privat: Innerbergstrasse 55 3044 Innerberg
Tel/Fax +41 (0)31  8292944 [log in to unmask]
http://www.datacomm.ch/kmatter

Dr Rodney Jackson MBChB PhD FAFPHM
Associate Professor of Epidemiology
Head of Department
Dpt of Community Health, School of Medicine
University of Auckland
(Grafton Mews, 52-54 Grafton Rd)
Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Phone: +64 (0)9-3737599 ext 6343
Fax: +64 (0)9-3737494
e-mail: [log in to unmask]