I wonder if members of this list are aware of another mailbase list about
modernism:  [log in to unmask] Most of the postings relate to
literature, a few to art history, none to the history of design. I would
encourage design historians to seek representation here in the name of
interdisciplinary - and indeed international - understanding and awareness
of what we do. I reproduce below a query from the list and one of the
replies it elicited, which I am sure members of the design history list
could provide illuminating responses to:

"Does anyone know when "modernist" or "modernism" (as distinct
>  from "modern") was first used to refer to the literature and art that we
>  now know by those terms? "

"I always learned the term Modern Art, as in the Museum of Modern Art.
"Modernist" seems to be unique to English lit. A lot of colleges still offer
classes in modern art but modernist literature.  I've never heard of an art
museum that used "modernist" instead of "modern" in its name.  I like
"modern" better. "Modernist" has just a faint tinge of implying "supposedly
modern" (but not really modern)..." [etc.]