Constanze Witt wrote:

> Lucia, John etc.
>
> You touch on something I've always wondered about:  how can the
> archaeological record identify an object as "sacrificial"?

Cze,

Regarding sacrifices, a good book is:

Well and the Tree: World and Time in Early Germanic Culture by Paul C.
Bauschatz

It doesn't specifically deal with the Celts, and much of it is more
relevant to Norse customs of our own era, but it is really worth
obtaining. Among many other things Bauschatz shows that some
sacrifices are objects of fertility: a sheep sacrificed in the now
would travel back in time and breed, so that the dedicator would be
assured of plenty of sheep in the present.

Colin Haselgrove in _Iron Age Coinage in South East England, the
archaeological context_ cites a case of a Celtic grave where a brooch
had been deliberately broken. This, while not really universal, points
to a widespread habit of "killing" objects so that they can then
travel to the otherworld. I should warn you that there is no index in
this two volume work!

There are so many factors in this subject, it is difficult to know
where to begin. Sacrifices of the elite can be symbolic, except during
times of extreme stress. The poor and uneducated show signs of trying
to bargain with their deities, but their lives might have been
stressful enough at all times. Perhaps combinations of stress and the
ability to abstract or symbolize could affect the nature of sacrifice.

Borders between tribal areas, perimeters of hill forts, believed
portals to the otherworld, all are likely places where sacrifices
might have taken place. It is an interesting question -- I wish I had
some interesting answers!

Regarding Bournemouth, if you are not going to be there during the
arts festival, at least visit some not too distant sites: Hengistbury
Head and Maiden Castle should not be missed by anyone interested in
the Iron Age. Try to see a bit of Dorset -- Swanage is a charming,
rather romantic place, well worth staying there for a few days.

Cheers,

John
--
Visit our Website at http://www.writer2001.com
Coriosolite Expert System...Animation...Poetry...Books