Hi Lucia, Oscar

Most of the Iberian coins with riders (holding either a palm branch,
or a lance) are from Hispania Citeria. A late example from Emporiai
during the Roman period actually has a rather Celtic style pegasus,
with the Roman inscription: C.CAT.C.O.CAP.Q and the head of Minerva on
the obverse.

The horse is a problem as it such a common subject everywhere. On
Celtic coins (pre classical style) it is almost always accompanied by
sun symbols such as pellets, pellet in circle, circles, or rosettes. A
common but mystifying practice is the addition of a pellet beneath the
upraised tail. having ridden a few horses in my time, I know what that
suggests to me, ;-) but I wonder if it really meant that to the Celts.
If so I'd love to hear the myth! Objects below the horse on Celtic
coins are generally dawn symbols such as the boar with a conjoined sun
symbol, or the lyre. The dawn symbol usually refers to the dawn of the
year. (I have articles on both of these symbols on my site in the
Coriosolite section.)

There is also a trace, at least, of a chariot with the horse. Most
Celtic coins derive from the design of the stater of Philip II of
Macedon (Apollo/Chariot).

Cheers,

John
--
Visit our Website at http://www.writer2001.com
Coriosolite Expert System...Animation...Poetry...Books