Dear Lucia, John, ... :

Lucia Afonso wrote:

I am searching the role of horses in the Iberia--the castreja culture.
    The Iberian Peninsula is very big and its diversity as well. The "cultura Castreña ", is the most northwestern "celtic" culture in Spain and North Portugal. They have not many evidences of horses compared with celtiberic, vaccei or lusitani record. You have to focus your interest in the zone because the big cultural variation.

Since there are some connections between Celts and Iberians, I thought that
I could find some relevant information on the Celtic religion.

    ...the representation of horses in the archaeológical record, even in coinage, is really big. The celtiberic people, the most "celtic" groups (as we know in Central Europe) have many coins and stellae with representations and the graves are plenty of horse bits, and other objects related.  I agree with Constanze's interpretation about the sacrifices, nor the archaeological record shows any sign nor the written sources said anything about it. We know some things about gods in galic or celtiberic groups arround the III century b.C. to the roman conquest in Spain (see Marco, P. (1997) La religión en la céltica hispana. UCA. Universidad Complutense. Madrid- good bibliography), but we cannot link them with horses or their social representation or sacrifices. I'm completly sure it's related with prestige and social values, but it's not posible by the moment re-make the role that horses had in their religion. The image of the warrior, the chief, the rider, are close related with the horse. I think you have a very good example in the consideration of horse in the written sources from the Early Christian Societies in Ireland (I 'm very grateful to Tim Champion for the time I studied with him this topics about social complexity and his personal library loans), look for the Patterson's book - (1994) Cattle Lords and Clansmen-it's very interesting as further reading. But, first of all, you must know well the regional archaeological record.

These are just some quick ideas, ...just in a friendly chat.

John, I'm dying to know about this Class VI Coriosolite coin. Send me more info.
Thanks a lot

Oscar.

Thank you,
Lucia Afonso