Hi

As some of you may know, I will shortly be starting on a three-year
programme of work around disability and the lifecourse.

Amongst other things, I am about to start work on an edited book (with
an international publisher) looking at various aspects of disability
and the lifecourse - theoretical, practical and personal. The
collection of chapters will be inter-disciplinary, international and
presented in a style which is accessible to a wide audience -short
chapters, clear language and summary discussion points.

The book will include chapters on both the construction and the lived
experience of disability, with an emphasis on disabling barriers and
enabling environments at various points of lifecourse transition. There
will be a majority of disabled authors and a balance of men and women.
Some writers will be prominent in the field and some will be new to
published work. I am particularly keen to draw on writers from a number
of countries and cultures, and this list seems like a good recruiting
ground. I am also conscious that black writers and people with learning
difficulties have been under-represented as published authors within
disability studies.

So, if you think you can write 4,000-5,000 words before December 1999
(on your own or with someone else) then I would like to hear from
you. Suggested topics include...

...how easy is it to get born in the first place?, genetics/eugenics,
early childhood issues, school, youth culture, 'training' for what?,
what is an independent adulthood anyway?, becoming a parent, becoming
older, are very old people with impairments disabled?, exposing
euthanasia and killing, arguments about the 'value' or 'quality' of
disabled lives, celebrations of disabled lives, personal life
stories...

At this stage, I would like expressions of interest for specific
chapters.

Please provide a provisional title, a brief outline of what might be
included (not more than 150 words) and one question for
prospective readers to think about. Please also include a brief note
about yourself. I will then work with the publisher to determine the
most suitable combination of chapters.

Thanks.

Best Wishes

Mark Priestley