Philip,
    Your description of the Newfoundland wells is quite fascinating,
particularly
your description of emptying a well.  We have a 17th century description
of drawing brine from the well "until the pump will go no more" - from
which I deduce there was no more water to pump.  I never quite undertood
that, though I guessed it might happen if the pump was faster than the
brine emptying into the pit !...as you now confirm.

There were three sites in this town where three brine springs erupted at
the surface but the quantity of brine available at each was not the same.
 Nor was the quantity of brine available.  However, it is clear that the
quantity is not governed by the number of springs emptying into each pit
(which varies).
    When they attempted to dig wells (actually pits through which they
then sunk boreholes to deeper levels to reach the underground stream),
they did not always succeed to tapping the stream.

Bea

Beatrice Hopkinson 73071,327@compuserve