Principal,
Work Ready Industrial Athlete Centre

Write to me at [log in to unmask]
Visit me at www.workready.au

Snail mail:
Suite 3, 82 Enmore Road,
Newtown  NSW 2042
Australia

Tel: (02) 9519 7436
Mob: 0412 33 43 98
Fax: (02) 9519 7436
-----Original Message-----
From: crm3a <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, 1 April 1999 11:24
Subject: Re: Patello-femoral OA

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt McEwan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: March 30, 1999 3:44 PM

>At 09:22 29/03/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>I attended the Combined Sections Meeting and took a one day course on
>>patella femoral pain. The presenters emphasized that research has failed
>>to show any exercise to strengthen the VMO more than the rest of the
>>Quads.
>
>In my opinion, this conception of selective "strengthening" of VMO is
>conceptually flawed. In patients with PFJ pain syndrome, it is not the
>strength, but activation pattern of the VMO/VL that is at fault. If the VMO
>is not being activated early enough during weightbearing flexion then the
>VL (larger xs area) will cause lateral maltracking. Standard rehab for this
>in Australia is to retrain selective timing/activation of VMO by using dual
>channel biofeedback in functional, weightbearing positions (eg lunge, 1/4
>squat, stepdowns), progressing to in-place plyometrics. Patellofemoral
>taping (a la McConnell) is vital if maltracking of glide or tilt variety is
>present.

I seem to remember that McConnell's work was originally based on 3 (I think)
patients.  Since then EMG studies have failed to support her conclusions as
to activation patterns (at least the EMG studies done by other graduate
students I know did not match what she proposed).  Interestingly I've
noticed that sometimes just controllong the tracking pattern by manually
controling the movement of the patella can significantly reduce pain during
the activity(I glide/direct the patella during weight-bearing lunges).  I
also find that Maitlands compression glides may also reduce symptoms if
there is pain.

The problem with this discussion is that we are mixing Retro-patellar pain
syndrome Rx with patellar OA treatment.  Two very distinct problems with
possibly very different treatment approaches.  Makes it easy to see why
results from person to person would vary alot.