Dear Tom,
                 it sounds like the heavy session did the damage! You don't
say when these State Championships are. If it is too painful to train then
you should definitely have a Sports Physician consultation. Without knowing
the grade of pain and talking to the athlete it's difficult to say what the
problem is, but it does sound like DOMS, especially as the tenderness
appears generalised and presumably is in both limbs.

My suggestion is to carry on with light training (reduced intensity and
duration) both aerobic and strength if she is able, and to ask her physician
to prescribe oral diclofenac sodium which is both anti-inflammatory and
analgesic and to my knowledge is not a banned substance (check). I've found
this to be a very effective drug. I would also persist with light massage to
aid circulation and drainage. The hot and cold treatment should be done as
follows: Firstly the shower water should be as hot or cold as the athlete
can bear. Be careful! Starting with warm water build up the heat to the
limit of reasonable tolerance, and once reached continue for three-5
minutes, then go to cold straightaway. Alternate between the two, changing
when the hot feels as the cold did and vice versa. Session shouldn't be any
longer than 15mins. I would also continue normal stretching routines and if
the athlete is not stretching before training she should be. Finally, I
would also use a herbal masssage oil on the affected areas, containing
wintergreen etc.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Ian

Ian Rogers M.Med.Sci.