[N.b. Fr. Thomas Sullivan kindly thanked me off-list for my un-helpful help,
but I thought that the broader matter in hand might be of some use to the list
as a whole.]

Dear Thomas,

These questions about identifying obscure places known only from their Latin
names seem to come up with some frequency on the list (as the Ste-Fripette
string of a coupla months ago suggests) and I'm thinking
that putting together some sort of FAQ for the list with this one on it might
be worth doing (as long, of course, as *I* don't have to actually
do much of it).

I should say that what little knowledge I may possess in this area is the
fruit of several years' _ad hoc_ mucking about in the now-dry vineyards
of the Eure-et-Loir (Chartres region). Each departement is, of course,
different, with its own naming patters, surviving sources, published secondary
works, yadayadayada....

You might therefore tell your friend that I didn't mean (necessarily) to imply
that the Gometz So. of Paris which I know from the SMdC documents
is *his* _Gometicis_.

Only that _Gometicis_ **might** permutate into something like "Gometz" in
modren French, and that there *may* very well be one (or more) of these
Goemtzi in "Burgundy" (each delineated from the other, in modern bureau
de la Poste fashion, by added sobriquets like "G-la-Ville",
"G-St-Martin", "G-la-Petite", "G-sous-Quelquechose", etc.).

Best from here,

Christopher

ByeTheBye, in my experience, the DHGH, while quite a good source for
major places ("cities"/episcopal towns) and many "secondary" places
("market towns", as the English would term them), it is by *no* means
definitive nor "complete", not mentioning *many* minor places which,
while they may have had some significance in the 11-12th (say) cc., have since
been obliated by History, and gone back to sleep, as it were, after their
moment in the (local) sun (not Baudrillart's [nor Cottineau's]
fault: there were, after all, *thousands* of "priories" in middlevil France
(alone).)

Thus the need to pursue the dreadful little round-about squirrel-paths which
I've mentioned.

But shucks, they don't call it "local" history for nothing.

The sport is in the chase.