The Sage of the NorthWest Fringe asserts

>I am sure this is an error: parts of Nacashire are civilised, too.
>Off-shore islands, as it were.

Withwhichlike assertion I fully concur, off-shore islands being a clearly
indispensable component of any self-respectable civilisation: after all, where
else would the Kleptocrats of the planet stash their loot but "off-shore"?

And, re Cameron Barnes' up-date on the on-going Ostraihlian umes/emus
contraversy, I can only say that clearly anyone who believes in the existance
of a "University of New England" in such a distant place, well.....

On the other wing, however, I am pleased to inform the list that, using
my near-magical powers as a book wizard, a recent libery sale out here in
post-literate California yielded a rare copy of E.W. Martin's _The Birds of
the Latin Poets_ (Stanford U.P., 1914. 8vo. 260pp.), which purports to be
"...fairly comprehensive down into the second century of the empire...", and
which (p. 158) proceeds directly from "OSSIFRAGE" to "PALUMBES" without
missing a beat.

>From which I am methodologically challenged to conclude that ostriches were
imported into Africa from Ostraihlian sometime after the Silver Age, and
probably well into Middlevil times.

And, my apologies to Julia Barrow.

Not for a moment did I doubt that _struthio/strucio_ = ostrich and is found
(if you say so) in the _Vita Oswaldi_.

The point (such as it may have been) of my knit piquing was your suggestion
that this might have been a "copyist's corruption", which I am quite willing
to believe, providing there is *some* word which *might* be linguistically or
palaeographically confused with _struthio/strucio_.

I know nothing of the methods of the proper textual editing of
literary/historical works, and my work with charters is entirely ad hoc and
by-the-seat-of-me-pants, so I was just curious if the "copyist's corruption"
point was merely the semi-automatic qualification of a
careful scholar.

Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Best to all you birds from here,

Christopher

p.s. I'll try to bring the Martin to the zoo for the perusal of the List; it
is much too valuable to put up for sale.