Dear medieval-religion colleagues,

I am grateful and pleased to be able to announce the following details of the
sessions sponsored by the medieval-religion list at Kalamazoo this year. As you know,
these are not in the printed programme, and perhaps only now may be on the Congress's
web corrigenda (although I haven't checked). I am very pleased with the papers on
offer (except mine, which I haven't written yet :-Q ), and I am sure you will be too.
I hope that many of you will be present at the sessions, to meet and support (and
learn from!) our speakers and colleagues.

Please, given the lateness of these arrangements, do forward these session details to
anyone you think might be interested.

(Also note that the room we've been assigned for both sessions, Valley II Room 205,
is a good one, and is near to the book display.)

Saturday, 8 May 1999, 1:30 p.m.
Valley II, Room 205

SESSION TITLE: Burial: Theory and Practice
SESSION SPONSORS: The medieval-religion discussion list
(http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion) and The University of Leicester,
Medieval Research Centre

Organizer and Presider: George Ferzoco, University of Leicester

PAPER 1: Llans, long cists, and hob-nailed boots: Practice and theory in
Christian burial in Western Britain and Ireland, A.D. 400-800.
   Presenter: Ronald A. Ross

PAPER 2: After the Burial: Popular Interpretation of Mirk's Exempla
   Presenter: Mark Moore, Cleveland Public Library

PAPER 3: Rest in Peace? The Remains of Peter of the Morrone
   Presenter: George Ferzoco

**************************************

Saturday, 8 May 1999, 3:30 p.m.
Valley II, Room 205

SESSION TITLE: Sanctity: Theory and Practice
SESSION SPONSORS: The medieval-religion discussion list
(http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion) and The University of Leicester,
Medieval Research Centre

Organizer and Presider: George Ferzoco, University of Leicester

PAPER 1: Literary Sanctity: the works and life of Gregory the Great in the Whitby
"Liber Beati Gregorii"
   Presenter: Kate Rambridge, Centre for Medieval Studies, University of Bristol

PAPER 2: "Sitten ane & halden hire stille:" Mouth and Tongue as Instruments of
Sanctity in "Ancrene Wisse"
   Presenter: Arlene Catherine Hilfer, Hanover College

PAPER 3: The Sanctity of Thomas Becket: An Early View From Chichester
   Presenter: Victoria Christine Appel, Wolfson College, Oxford

PAPER 4: Documenting Sanctity in Pre-Tridentine Catholicism and Pre-Reformation
English Vernacular Spirituality: The Cases of Julian of Norwich and Margery Kemp
   Presenter: Thomas L. Long, Thomas Nelson Community College

George Ferzoco                   tel ++  44  (0)116  252 2654
Director of Italian Studies      fax ++  44  (0)116  252 3633
University of Leicester          e-mail  [log in to unmask]
School of Modern Languages
LEICESTER LE1 7RH
UNITED KINGDOM