Awaiting the opinion of those more informed than myself, my understanding
has been that Jerome made a first translation of the Psalms based on the
Greek Septuagint text, but after he learned Hebrew and began translating
the Hebrew text of the Bible he made a second translation, based on the
"Hebrew Verity".

But my memory could be hazy.

Steve Fanning
University of Illinois at Chicago