Dear All
sorry to come in rather late in this discussion (I'm intrigued by how
long it has gone on - is there, perhaps, some particular affinity between
cats and medievalists? I will have to ask my own feline houseguest about
this...). The article that Cecilia Gaposchkin cited (below) is indeed
very good - and it's about one particular area where cats were very
definitely associated with the devil, in medieval rather than early
modern times. This is to do with heresy: various accounts of heresy tell
of heretics kissing cats on the anus, as a way of worshipping the devil
(eg Alain de Lille on the Cathars). In some accounts, the cat does appear
to be standing in for the devil. Lipton's excellent article analyses
images in the Bible MOralisee for how visual associations between
heretics, Jews and cats are deployed.

cheers
john arnold