E & R Shanahan wrote:

> So we are trying to find  any information about the West Indies
> Association.  We gather that it was an association of
> 'merchants/traders/shippers/agents' or whatever involved with trade to/from
> the West Indies, and we know that the names of some of them are - Sandbach,
> Tinne, McInroy, Parker, Robert Gladstone, Will Ingers,  C. Hand, W
> Rathbone,Mr Innes,   but in our searches on the web we have not been able
> to find  anything about any of them, or of the W.I Association.

I left Liverpool in 1958 and have no local reference books to hand. But to start
you off I can tell you that the Rathbones were a very famous Liverpool family and
there is today still a Rathbone Street in Liverpool. The *Concise Dictionary of
National Biography* lists three William Rathbones, father, son and grandson, all
Liverpool philanthropists (1759-1809), (1787-1868), and (1819-1902). All were
merchants, the second was Mayor of Lpool in 1837 and the last was Liberal MP for
(successively) Lpool, Caernarfornshire, and North Caernarfonshire, and published
works on social questions. (His daughter Eleanor (1872-1946) was also famous as a
social reformer). You should easily be able to find more information about him in
any good reference library. That at Lpool will have loads on the family, I'm sure.
But the DNB itself may make a WI connection. Hope this helps.
Malcolm