> A question- Do people who have lived in the one place all their lives [a
> small village for example] develop a stronger link to their own history
> [family and local] than those who have moved frequently? Or are there
> other influences? Do you know of any research in this area? [references
> ??]

When I was a child my grandfather was interested in our local area but
I had no interest at all, in spite of being fascinated by History and
archaeology. Since moving a way and researching my family history I
have *Slightly* more interest but not a lot.  I am far more interested
in Cambridge local medieval history (town not gown!) where I've lived
for 15 years and my house is built on the site of a long gone priory.

My experience is therefore that moving to an area of your choice and
making an emotional and financial committment (anyone who knows anything
about Cambridge house prices knows what sort of committment moving
here involves!) to an area is more likely to awaken an interest.
Being physically close to an area helps i.e., walking ancient streets
(central Cambridge retains its medieval street layout)

> Are family stories in childhood of significance in the development of
> positive attitudes to history [personal, family and local]?
When I was a child many local people talked about the Monmouth Rebellion
as though it was recent history. I have since discovered that we may have
had
ancestors tried at the Bloody Assizes. The was an area I had no interest
in until now and but will be investigating when time permits.