Dear all, dear friends,

Several years of unsuccessful worldwide academic job-hunt have forced me to
reconsider my plans, and although I am not yet giving up these plans
entirely, I nevertheless have responsibilities and obligations towards my
family, which do not allow me to go on as before. Tomorrow morning I will
take the train to Heidelberg, and if I can arrange for accomodation very
quickly, from next week on I will work there for three months as a member
of the web-team of one of our major scientific publishers (Springer
Science). I don't know what will come afterwards, but my feeling is not
that it will be a job in teaching and research.

If possible I will try to stay co-owner of this list (and of
Medieval-Religion as well) and will fulfill my small duties as such as best
I can, but as I will need some time to reorganize my new life I recommend
that in cases of urgency regarding the management of this list you put your
trust rather in George than in me. In such cases, please direct your
questions or complaints to <[log in to unmask]>, to
make sure that you reach both of us at the same time and that the quicker
of us can respond.

The job in Heidelberg will only be temporary, but Heidelberg is one of the
most lovely cities of my country, also close to the place (Schwetzingen)
where as a little child I learned to walk and to speak, whereas Berlin was
always a sort of exile to me where I did not really achieve very much. So
please feel invited to share my good hopes for the future rather than my
regrets of the past.

Yours,

  Otfried

Otfried Lieberknecht, Schoeneberger Str. 11, D-12163 Berlin
tel: ++49 +30 8516675, fax: ++49 +89 6661792543, [log in to unmask]
  Homepage for Dante Studies:
http://members.aol.com/lieberk/welcome.html
  Listowner of Italian-Studies:
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies/