Recently a well executed syst. literature review has been published
in Huisarts & Wetenschap, the Dutch Journal of the dutch college of
general practitioners.
Unfortunately it is in Dutch (though often it includes a abstract in
english). As we  haven't been succesful to get the journal
accepted for indexing in Medline - we tried this four times over
a period of more than 10 years - it isn't useful for us to publish
original articles in english or with extensive english summaries.
If you wish I could it look up for you. Possibly you find Dutch
rather easy to read, and rather comparable to German. At least you
could extract the references.

No luck with some Cochrane Library?

A quick search with ascorbic acid / common cold / 1985-1999 / review
(search strategy included) resulted in two possibly useful articles:
see attached file

I hope this is helpful.

Nico v Duijn

Dr. N.P. van Duijn, gen. pract. - epidemiologist
Departm. General Practice
Division Public Health
Academic Medical Centre
University of Amsterdam