Can one of the participants on this list point us to a good discussion
on the proper 'framing' of NNT in the context of a continuous outcome
measure.

For example, a rather bright fellow has posed this question to me:
Treatment "X" shortens the hospital stay for disease "Z" by 0.50
hospital days.  Is there a relevant way to present this that is roughly
equivalent to a NNT?

I thought, off hand, that this would be somewhat equivalent to
suggesting that 2 children would have to be treated to 'save' one
hospital day.  Fundamentally this appears overly simplistic, but I would
be interested in hearing how others might have dealt with this before.

Thanks in advance,

Robert L. Davis, MD, MPH
Pediatric Evidence Based Program
Department of Pediatrics