Apologies for cross-posting

Please find below details of, and a registration form for, the first
of an ESRC-funded seminar series on 'Restructuring Employment and
Work in East-Central Europe'.

Location: Centre for European Political Economy, Sussex European
Institute, University of Sussex
When: 18-19 June 1999

Overnight accommodation, breakfast, and other refreshments will be
provided.

There is, however, a £15 registration fee to cover administration
and dinner costs.
Those that do not wish to take part in the dinner are asked to pay a
£5 registration fee. Unfortunately, registration can only be
accepted with receipt of payment.

Papers to be presented at the seminar will be circulated to
registered participants prior to the meeting.

One of the aims of the seminar series is to stimulate discussion of
papers. Consequently, we are limiting numbers to around 30
participants. I therefore have to stress that attendance will be on
a first-come first-served basis.

Restructuring Employment and Work in East-Central Europe

an ESRC-funded seminar series

Centre on European Political Economy
Sussex European Institute
University of Sussex

Inaugural seminar

18–19 June 1999

Friday 18 June

12.30			Arrival and registration, Sussex European Institute
12.30–13.30		Lunch
SEI room A183

13.30–13.45		Opening remarks, Adrian Smith, University of Sussex
			SEI room A71

13.45–15.00		Guy Standing, International Labour Organization
The Babble of Euphemisms: Re-Embedding Social Protection in
"Transformed" Labour Markets

15.00–15.20		Refreshments

15.20–16.30		Sarah Vickerstaff and John Thirkell, University of Kent
Trade Unions and the Politics of Transformation in Central and East
Europe

16.30–17.30		Laszlo Czaban, University of Manchester
The reorganisation of companies and the transformation of work
organisations: employment strategies in Hungarian firms in the
mid-1990s
18.00			Transport to Courtlands Hotel

Evening		Seminar dinner

Saturday 19 June

8.00–9.00		Breakfast at Courtlands Hotel

9.00–9.30		Transport from Courtlands Hotel to University

9.30–10.40		Mike Ingham, University of Salford
Gender and labour market restructuring in Central and Eastern
Europe: a cross-country comparison

10.40–11.00		Refreshments

11.00–12.10		Frances Pine, University of Cambridge
Surviving unemployment: women's strategies in two regions of Poland

12.10	Closing remarks and future directions
Departure

Abstracts of papers can be accessed at:
http://www.geog.susx.ac.uk/research/changing_europe/restructuring.ht
ml

Restructuring Employment and Work in East-Central Europe

an ESRC-funded seminar series

Registration form

I will/will not*

be able to attend the inaugural meeting of the Restructuring
Employment and Work in East-Central Europe at the Centre on European
Political Economy, Sussex European Institute on 18–19 June 1999

*I would like to participate in the seminar dinner on Friday 18
June, and I enclose a cheque made payable to the 'University of
Sussex' for £15.00 to cover registration and dinner costs.

*I would not like to participate in the seminar dinner on Friday 18
June, and I enclose a cheque made payable to the 'University of
Sussex' for £5.00 to cover registration costs

* please delete

Name:

Address:

Telephone number: