Donna,

You write:
> I would argue that "There is wide agreement" because hegemony makes it
> so.  Recall the testing that Thurgood Marshall did in the segregated

Your subsequent argument has me 90% convinced. I take your points.

> To AVOID serious critique of socially constructed beliefs is to succumb
> to and internalize the deficit model--a process of inferiorization for
> which false claims of "inherent biological essence" are designed.

True. But it's even better to get in early to critique both the
fundamentalist tendancies of social constructionists and biological
determinists when you think you can detect a whiff of them.

I was reacting to the odour of self-righteousness in debate-stopping terms
like
'hegemonic aesthetic standards'
' oppression by aesthetics'

After all, we all know what to do with 'hegemony' and 'oppression': we
smash 'em... no further questions need be asked ...

I think the truth has to lie somewhere in the middle.

Judy