Alex Satrapa wrote:
> Claiming that Ansel Adams is the creator of the digital image is like
> saying that the author is the person responsible for the typographical
> errors in the manuscript. Or worse - that the architect of the Sydney
> Olympic stadium is the person who built it (he must be a hard worker).
>
> The responsibility for intellectual content is still preserved by
> DC.Rights and DC.Source. Failing that, you always have DC.Relation.

I believe that one of the ideas behind metadata is the ability to
formulate simple and intuitive relationships between resources, named
properties and values.

To me, at least, it is intuitive to see the property "creator" linking
the value "Adams, Ansel" and any reasonable manifestation of a work
created by him (including digital scans and print reproductions of his
photographs.  And the "type" property should tell me if we are dealing
with an original photograph, a binary scan or an offset reproduction).

This means that when trying to formulate a search looking for an Ansel
Adams photograph, I would enter his name (and not the name of the guy who
did the scanning, or the gal created the offset plates) in the field
designated to hold the name of the entity primarily creating the
intellectual content of the resource.

Certainly, if I was looking for some manifestation of a photograph by
Ansel Adams, it would probably _not_ occur to me that I should ignore
the "creator" property and instead search for records where his name
was linked to the "rights", "source" or "relation" property.

Of course I can design the search engine so that when someone instructs
it to search for manifestations of the work of "Ansel Adams", it can
be real clever and "know" that this means that sometimes the name "Adams,
Ansel" appear linked to the "creator" property, and sometimes it is
instead linked to "rights", "source", "relation".  Maybe even
"publisher" or "contributor"?

But unless the search engine had the natural language abilities and
knowledge of the the life and work of Ansel Adams similar to that
of a human being, this would actually make a very poor search engine.
Searching through all those tables to avoid missing a manifestation
of a work originally created by Ansel Adams would  probably end up
returning (too much) garbage (e.g. if some of these additiobal fields
happens to contain the value "The Ansel Adams Fondation" and this entity
manages the art collection of Ansel Adams, including a collection
of photographs taken by his friends and collegues -- all those pictures
_not_ created by Ansel Adams would be listed along with his own work).

> From your experience, you've found that reproductions by the
> quality-minded gallery are much more satisfying. Wouldn't you like to
> add as a condition on your search, that you want digital images from the
> quality shop, not the fly-by-night operation?
>
> How would you do that?

To me, it sounds as if you are talking about the "publisher"
relation, and that you should use the "DC.Publisher" to hold this
value, instead of overloaded in onto "DC.Creator".

But to answer your precise question:
If I already knew in _where_ I could find what I wanted, I would
go there (online or IRL). I would certainly not bother to search
for it on the Internet.

--
- gisle hannemyr  ( [log in to unmask] - http://home.sol.no/home/gisle/ )
  "Use the Source, Luke. Use the Source." -- apologies to Obi-Wan Kenobi