Robin Wendler writes,

> ... I believe that 1:1 falls clearly and precisely into the realm of
> cataloging rules, which, as David rightly points out, are unlikely to be
> followed in DC ...
> DC should stay out of the cataloging rules business as much as possible,
> in my opinion.

Is it then not necessary to more clearly point out the limitations this
imposes on attainable results of DC projects? Esp. what it means for
interoperability. And what can people expect from the presence of DC metadata
and what not, and questions like that. My feeling is that people tend
to have unrealistic expectations, esp. if they lack cataloging background.
True, cataloging rules ARE not always being followed even in library
networks. The larger an operation gets, the more acute grows the need
for strict and detailed rules - but the more difficult becomes their
enforcement.

> 1:1 ... should be dropped from the DC
> discussions and carried forward, if at all, in cataloging rules
> discussions independent of DC.

We are doing that now in a joint American-German project of translating
the AACR into German. It was found that AACR focuses more on the whole
of a "work" (whatever the definition) whereas German rules focus on its
parts. Interoperability is bound to suffer.
Those of you who read German may want to look at a list of top
50 terms and definitions:

   http://www.biblio.tu-bs.de/allegro/formate/aacr-it.htm

Regards, B.E.

Bernhard Eversberg
Universitaetsbibliothek, Postf. 3329,
D-38023 Braunschweig, Germany
Tel.  +49 531 391-5026 , -5011 , FAX  -5836
e-mail  [log in to unmask]