Help!

Does anyone know of any good, basic and accessible reading that I can
distribute to undergraduate students on how to critically analyse texts,
discourses and images? It should help them ask questions about dominant
representations, metaphors, exclusions, naturalisations etc.  This is for
an urban geography class; I'll be asking them to do an analysis on dominant
(and perhaps subordinate) discourses of urban growth, change, globalisation
etc...  Representations of class, gender, race will also be at issue.
I'll be happy to summarise any responses and repost them, if need be.

 The only thing I'm aware of is an excellent piece by Gillian Rose in the
Jrnl of Geog in Higher Ed in 1996.  There is, of course, a rather
forbidding formal literature on discourse analysis (much of it
non-critical); this doesn't seem helpful here.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide!

Nick Blomley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
N  i  c  k         B  l  o  m  l  e  y

Associate Professor