Sorry for my delay on the issue...but

Constanze wrote:

  These examples didn't say anything more or different
> > from the dry subject readings, but they did
arouse passionate debate, and
> > made the students feel that these were REAL
issues, for the ancient world
> > no less than for us today.  To me that emotional
connection justified
> > using
> > non-scholarly metaphors.  But what are your
teaching experiences and
> > thoughts?

I would say that we as academicians can teach what
exactly is a metaphor, BUT we couldn't teach our
students what is exactly an scholarly metaphor.
For me, what seems important here is that we, as
scholars, (1) DO use metaphors also, and (2) don't
seems to matter too much WHAT kind of particular
metaphor we use, since we use them for teaching
purposes. As a friend of mine say, this sounds as if
we are looking for hair on the egg...

It seems logical too that we might look to our
teaching methods and see if there's something wrong
in using metaphors...

Cheers,

Marcelo H. Marotta

Post-graduate student