Dear Kevin
I would like to draw your attention to an interesting article re. VAS
The reference is Collins et al (1997), Pain 72; 95-97
The aim was to establish at what point on the VAS moderate pain was
represented. It used data from 1080 pts from RCT's of various
ananlgesics and found that
1)Of the pts reporting moderate pain, 85% scored over 30mm on VAS
2) Of pts with severe pain, 85% scored over 54mm

Using these results for my recent pain study I divided the VAS down
into Mild Pain 0-3, Moderate pain 4-6, Severe pain 7-10.
This is helpful as a junp from 7-5 is probably more clinically
significant than a jump from 10-8.

My particular interest is cancer pain and the above findings are
similar to another article by Serlin et al (1995), Pain 61; 277-284.

Hope this helps
Karen (research physio)