Very well said Michael.

The evidence-based approach seems to have more
strengths than weaknesses, though it has its
detractors. Unfortunately the large cost in
time and money required (not to mention the
expertise) to produce robust evidence
deters/prevents some disciplines and encourages
others to pursue evidence gathering. Those
applications/interventions that are more likely
to lead to results that are commercially valuable
or exploitable, unfortunately, attract the funding.

An intervention (eg a manual therapy) that
involves no pharmeceutical, device or other
"product" that could be "proven" and then sold,
is less likely to attract funding for trials.
The supplier of the funding is looking for a return
on that capital. Sadly, with universities needing
to become more self-funding, they too will lean
towards research will potentially commercial
outcomes.

The massively powerful and profitable
pharmaceutical companies are R&D machines that
produce a stream of evidence-based *proprietary*
substances. They have a high pay-off for their
evidence-gathering. No-one owns a patent on generic
apples (excluding genetically engineered models!), so
even though eating two a day *may* be more effective
for a certain condition than taking two XYZ pills a
day, the XYZ pill will be backed up by scientific
evidence (not to mention a marketing juggernaut)
and the apple, probably, will not. Doctors will
therefore be recommending the pill over the apple.

This may seem an absurd example, but I use it to
make a point: the evidence-based approach inherently
will lead to the predominance of interventions
that can be commercially exploited, while other
interventions, without the resouces (and potential
pay-off), will languish if based solely on evidence.

Having said that, love it or loath it, the evidence
based approach is here to stay for some time.
Insurers love it. My suggestion to practitioners
in disciplines that currently lack an evidence base,
is to simply accept that the health and growth of
your profession may depend on building a sold
evidence base. Figure out how you can help gather
the resources required to conduct the trials.
Universities, Ph.D. students and not-for-proft
research foundations seem the best options for
faciliating such trials.

My 2 cents worth!

Michael
Spinal Sensor Technologies