Dear Jim,

Dog help you, it might be that the source of your "Hitler & the Lance" stuff
was an unrelieveably hokie book--which I know only from
mass-marquet pb copies which walked into my first store-front by the
score in the late '70s:

Trevor Ravenscroft(couldn't *possibly* be a nom de lance)'s _The Spear of
Destiny; the occult power behind the spear which pierced the side of Christ._
New York, Putnam [1973]. LC Call No.:   DD247.H5R373 1973

I now note from the LoC entries that, like most things truely loopie, there
was an English edition published the previous year (London,
Spearman [sic], 1972.)

*And*, there appears to be a recent sequel I've not yet seen, which
sounds like a must read for any serious Ravencroft fan:

_The mark of the beast : the continuing story of the Spear of Destiny._ /
Trevor Ravenscroft & Tim Wallace-Murphy. York Beach, Me. : S. Weiser, 1997. LC
Call No.:   BF1442.H64R35 1997

No doubt it was your knee-jerk instincts for scholarly self-preservation which
led you to supress all memory of the source of your knowledge.

Truth be known, I took a long look at the Ravencroft opus myself at the time
it was _au courant_ and found it *just* interesting enough to dig up the Art
Bulletin article and to keep an eye out for other opii dealing with the
"occult" in the Third Reich. But, I haven't kept up with the literature, as
I'm trying to quit.

The general conclusion I came to--which I still perversely hold to--is that
this question is like a few others (e.g., the labyrinth at Chartres; the
shroud of Turin; Glastonbury Tur) wherein a kernal of interesting, serious,
historical Truth has become so incrusted with a shell of marvelously hokie
chaff as to--in some cases--scare off up front any serious scholar who might
like to take up the question.

*Was* there something more to the labyrinth at Chartres than a random set
of pretty stones laid down as a lark?

I believe that, obviously, there was, though what *exactly* that
something might be, I really haven't a clue.

*Is* the shroud of Turin *really* a 14th c. French artifact?

*All* my art historical training and instincts tell me that such a proposition
is, on its face, simply ludicrous.
But what this curious object *is*--that I cannot say, in spite of quite a bit
of serious reading around in the serious literature (yes, such exists on this
subject).

*Was* there something just a *bit* more envolved in Hitler's rise to
power than a homocidial sociopath simply opportunistically manipulating pure
historical accident to gain near-absolute power in what was (arguably) the
most "civilized" country on the face of the planet?

Mmmmmm.
could be, i spose.
duh.

The fact--if it is indeed a *fact*--that Hitler had the lance moved from
Vienna (or even if he simply took any cognizance of it whatsoever) I take to
be most interesting.

What it might mean or signify....

Best to all from here,
(and special thanks to dear O. for his
Easter gift to the list. Now, how the devil do
we work out those pesky epacts?)

Christopher

[log in to unmask] wrote:
>To tell the truth, I really can't remember where I got the reference
to Hitler and the Holy Lance.....>