We seem to be getting lots of answers about Longinius's spear but not much
about the Grail ...

Apart from the Glastonbury tradition, there is a tradition of a wooden cup
at the Welsh Cistercian abbey of Strata Florida, near Tregaron, which was
said to be the Grail and which attracted large numbers of pilgrims. On the
face of it, a wooden cup is pehaps a more likely candidate than the usual
elaborate metal goblet. Richard Colyer in Roads and trackways of Wales
(Moorland Press, 1984) has a lot of detail about pilgrimage routes around
Strata Florida, though less on the relic itself.

(I've changed my address since last summer - I'm now at UWCN Caerleon
rather than Cardiff. I was off list for a long time last summer walking
some of these pilgrimage routes: the Cistercian Way project is more or less
on hold at the moment while I recover from a broken leg but we still have
hopes of lottery funding and will be back to fieldwork by the summer.)

Maddy Gray