Dear Carlos,

Our expert for Sant'Antonino is Tom Izbicki, whereas I myself -- as much as
I would love to be 'your man in Tuscany'! -- have only collected over the
years a list of things that I wanted to look up in his  _Historiae_, but so
far have not yet touched any of his volumes. But if I do, I will not fail
to look up also (and to let you know) what he has to say about Dante.

If Antonino criticized the Commedia, his attitude can at least not be taken
to indicate a general hostility towards Dante in 15th century ecclesiastic
circles: the Franciscan Giovanni (Bertoldi) da Serravalle, bishop of Fermo
and later bishop of Fano, on the instances of other high ecclesiastics
translated and glossed the Commedia during the Council of Constance (ed.
Marcellino da Civezza & Teofilo Domenichelli, Prato: Giacchetti, 1891),
basing his gloss on the second redaction of Benvenuto da Imola's
commentary; about ten years earlier (1408), a Dominican, Stephanus de
Florentiae, copied and glossed the Commedia in Cod. Trivulz. 1072, olim VII
(now lost, but copied in 1792 by Gian Giacomo Dionisi, Verona, Bibl.
Capitolare, Capitolare 813-814-815; see Marcella Roddewig, _Dante
Alighieri, Die go"ttliche Komoedie: Vergleichende Bestandsaufnahme der
Handschriften_, Stuttgart: Hiersemann, 1984, no. 443, no. 808, p.398); in
the same year (1408) a certain Benedetto, according to Batines presumably a
"Benedictus de Florentia, alumnus provinciae Pisanae, filius Coenobii
Florentini", wrote a Latin gloss on the Commedia preserved in ms. Durazzo
11 (written in 1454, see Roddewig, no. 357); and the Franciscan Bartolomeo
da Colle (d. 1483, brother of the poet Lorenzo de' Lippi), who in 1463 was
nuntius of the Marche and later became 'vicarius' of his order on Crete, is
known to have been the copyist of the Commedia in Cod. Vat. 7566-67-78 and
author of its Latin gloss on Paradiso 1-3 (Roddewig, no. 637 and p.388).

For general studies of the reception of Dante in the 15th century I can
refer you to:

BIGI Emilio
   Dante e la cultura fiorentina del Quattrocento. In: GSLI
   143 (1966), p.212-240
   [GSLI = Giornale storico della letteratura italiana]
DIONISOTTI Carlo
   Dante nel Quattrocento. In: *Atti del Congresso Internazio-
   nale di Studi Danteschi, 20-27 aprile 1965, vol. I, Firenze:
   Sansoni, 1965, p.333-378
BEC Christian
   Les bourgeois florentins lecteurs de Dante durant la premie\-
   re moitie/ du XVe sie\cle. In: BSED 18 (1970), p.17-26
   [BSED = Bulletin de la Socie/te/ d'E/tudes Dantesques du
   Centre Universitaire Me/diterrane/en, Nice]

On Serravalle's commentary see especially M. Roddewig, "Per la tradizione
manoscritta dei commenti danteschi: Benvenuto da Imola e Giovanni da
Serravalle", in _Benvenuto da Imola lettore degli antichi e dei moderni. At-
ti del Convegno Internazionale (Imola, 26 e 27 maggio 1989)_, ed. Pantaleo
Palmieri & Carlo Paolazzi, Ravenna: Longo, 1991, p.79-109

Yours,

  Otfried

Otfried Lieberknecht, Schoeneberger Str. 11, D-12163 Berlin
tel: ++49 +30 8516675, fax: ++49 +89 6661792543, [log in to unmask]
  Homepage for Dante Studies:
http://members.aol.com/lieberk/welcome.html
  Listowner of Italian-Studies:
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies/